zondag 20 april 2014

Peyote!

I love my peyote stitch! I simply love the way a pattern works up and the outcome of it. Be it classy, cute or funky, you can whip up a great looking piece with this stitch. Bracelets, earrings, necklaces, heck, even lighter cases and eyeglass cases. Tubular or flat, even or odd, the options are endless.

But what IS peyote?

As far as I knew, it is some kind of Indian stitch, but surely there had to be more than that?! I went googling and I found out that the Peyote is not just a stitch, but a sort of cactus. Living in a land where cacti don't grow, this was new to me, however, for my readers from southern USA (or any warm climate area), it may something you already knew. I do, however, want to share this with you!

Here's what Wikipedia says about the Peyote, or Lophophora williamsii.

'Lophophora williamsii is a small, spineless cactus with psychoactive alkaloids, particularly mescalineThe Spanish common name, also used in English, is peyote; from the Nahuatl word peyƍtl, which means "glisten" or "glistening". Native North Americans are likely to have used peyote, often for spiritual purposes for at least 5,500 years.'


                                                                     The Peyote Cactus


As for the stitch itself, Wikipedia says this:

Many cultures around the world have used peyote stitch in their beadwork. Examples of peyote stitch have been found in artifacts from Ancient Egypt, and the stitch has also been used in historic and contemporary Native American beadwork. The name "peyote stitch" derives from the use of this stitch to decorate objects used in peyote ceremonies by members of the Native American Church. The name "gourd stitch" similarly derives from the use of the stitch in decorating gourd containers.

So apparently it's not just a Native American stitch, but it has also been seen in Egypt, and how cool is that. I love Egyptian art and patterns, almost as much as I love the Native American arts and crafts.

This inspires me to whip up some new patterns for you all soon, with an Egyptian touch perhaps?



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten